Since I’ve entered this new exiting decade in my life, I have to admit that I can see some fine lines appearing in the mirror and I’m noticing that I need more sleep than I did 10 years ago. Living in the city the busy life and pollution are hard on the skin. It’s time to see how to best take care of myself. Here are some tips and things that I believe in. Let’s see in another ten years if I was on the right track.
- Dehydration: Remember to drink a lot of water.
- Antioxidants: Green tea and White tea. Not to mention the million other health benefits of these! My new favorite is the Acai-berry, which I take as capsules, juice and externally in my daily moisturizer from Kiehl’s.
- Natural cosmetics: Since there is no clear regulation which types of cosmetics can be called “natural”, a product that is marketed as natural because it has some chamomile extract added to it can be full of chemical substances such as mineral oils, parabens, silicones, propylene glycol, artificial colors and perfumes. I buy most of my cosmetics at the bio shop, Kiehl’s or Korres.
- Know what you eat: I try to avoid highly processed and readymade food. Instead I aim to prepare my food by myself from the beginning to the end using fresh, seasonal, biological and local ingredients. I’m a vegetarian and I believe that the factory farm produced meat products would only harm me and the environment anyway.
- Move: I’ve noticed that when I was in my 20’s, I could sit down for hours in an uncomfortable position and then just jump up to do something else. Now after a while of sitting down in one position my whole body seems to hurt. So, I took up my good old yoga practice again as well as the 5 Tibetan rites, which are said to be a fountain of youth.
- Cleansing: I always clean my face before going to bed and every morning – No cheating with this!
- Meditation: I take a small moment for myself every day to close my eyes, breath and be in silence. When I feel that I don’t have time to do this, I know that I need it even more.